Friday, April 18, 2008

Are Kata/Poomse Important? (This should get some comments lol)

Seems like every time I bring this up on a discussion board I get a flurry of responses...usually negative. Keep in mind that I don't consider myself an expert at kata, though I consider myself good at their performance, I also don't claim to know all the bunkai (application) of the kata I "know."

What forms are good for:

  1. Preservation of classical or "traditional" technique.
    I once had a prospective student come into my school and ask whether we taught traditional martial arts. I smiled and said, "depends on who's tradition you're talking about!" Tradition is subjective, but the commonly accepted techniques in an art or style are contained in its kata or poomse (for you TKD wonks). At each level, what your style considers important is contained in the forms. If not, then they are probably just ways of marking progress and making sure you wait long enough between belts to show progress-in other words, meaningless.
  2. An excellent workout.
    If performed properly, forms are a great workout! After I finish a form in thirty seconds and I am sweating, breathing hard, and my thighs are shaking, I know a good workout. I get sore muscles in almost every part of my body from kata because I fire off all my muscles as I complete each technique, then relax between. Most excellent!
  3. Teaching concentration and memorization.
    To perform kata properly, you must focus on every technique, as well as the pattern, plus put the "intention" on every block, punch, kick, and strike. You also focus your vision as if you are actually in combat. Great for memorization. I love this aspect.
  4. Demonstrates and preserves the beauty of the martial arts.
    I think there's nothing more awesome than a well-performed kata. At a tournament I saw on TV, there was a black belt competitor who looked about 50 years old, and was an Okinowan stylist, I think. He was so precise and focused with every technique, with every stance, that I was in awe of his basics. I enjoyed his performance much higher than the 2o-ish competitors that did backflips and cartwheels and multiple high-kicks. Just me, but I want "martial" in my martial arts.
  5. Forms provide steady income for schools.
    Forms give martial arts schools a reason to give private lessons, extra classes, and the variety of belts (some schools/systems have as many as twelve belts before black). Forms give you a justification to have so many. Right or wrong, it's income.
  6. Forms break up the monotony of training.
    In defense of the income point, not everyone is a good fighter right away. Forms keep your interest.

What they are not good for:

  1. Kata techniques aren't used in self-defense.
    I have never seen anyone fight like they perform a kata. I don't think I ever will. Kata are an exaggeration of the technique which one might use in fighting, but, as you perform the way you train. Some who are excellent at forms may dispute this contention, but I challenge them to send me a tape showing the forms in action. Granted, a few techniques will be used (knifehands, reverse punches, etc.), but they are all modified for real-world practicality. A good fighter doesn't chamber the pulling hand on the hip, unless he wants to get tagged in the head.
  2. Kata performance is not an efficient means of preparing for sparring, fighting, or self-defense.
    If it was, Lennox Lewis, Tyson, and all other fighters with millions on the line would be doing them, wouldn't they. Oh, they're boxers? How about martial artists? Did you see a Chuck Norris, Bill Wallace, Joe Lewis, Nasty Anderson, or Arlene Limas (dating myself, eh?) doing forms to prepare for competition? No, of course not. Enough said.

Kata aren't the most efficient way to prepare for unarmed combat, but are a great way to carry on the techniques of the past in your respective arts. I will continue to do them into the future because I love them, but I'll be training for battle in another way.

No comments: